Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sunday School Position

I know from yesterday that this post will appear as if I submitted it on Saturday. That's because I haven't changed the settings on my profile to reflect my new time zone. I sort don't want to do that in case it will adjust all the timestamps on my blog, so I'll just make it clear that all references to "this morning" refer to 11 September 2009.

So yeah, the interview I wrote about last night. It was fantastic. I met with Pastor Dyan of the First Free Methodist Church in Moose Jaw. We shared our testimonies and talked theology for a while, and I suppose the very title of this post is suggestive enough that I might as well state for the record that she offered me the teaching gig. What needs to be most emphasized is the fact that, in spite of my absolute sloth and procrastination, God recognized my need to be involved (for personal, spiritual, and program requirement reasons) and came through. Without re-reading yesterday's post, which may or may not have made this point clear, I only came into this position because one of my profs announced it to our History of Christianity class on Tuesday. I was the only one who bit on the chomp, but I immediately felt that God was speaking to me and me alone. (God, unlike people, isn't ambiguous.)

I am stoked for several reasons. First, though Pastor Dyan and I share similar theological stances, our particular interests are miles apart. She's passionate about the New Testament; I'm passionate about the Old. She gravitates away from the Prophets, whereas I've spent nearly two years digging and wrestling with that portion of Scripture. So basically, there is virtually no risk of me covering territory that class has studied over the last few years. (Do you get a sense that God's view of our lives is so much more complete than our tunnel vision?)

So the plan for Sunday is for me to meet with the class, consisting of mid- to late-teens, and deciding on a game plan for this semester. If all goes well, I hope to serve in this role at the church for the three remaining years I'll be completing my BA. I may be here beyond that, but the plan is to get tapped in at a local church and grow that way. Aside from my studies (or perhaps more important than), serving God is the reason I'm here at this time in my life. God knew where I fit in, and so He saved me a lot of frustration and report writing and dealing with the Field Education coordinators. Not to mention guesswork. So yeah, let this praise note be as self-evident as it seems from my vantage point. I prayed for Him to find me a place, and He was quick to respond. We serve a living God who cares for His flock, not some otherworldly conceptual god that dies with the philosophers who invent it.

Another praise note before I sign off tonight: I had a pretty great chat with one of the dorm students who lives across from me. We shared our testimonies and I felt so encouraged and healthy in doing that. God has truly immersed me in a healthy, vibrant community, and as much as I miss everyone back home, He's made the transition as smooth as He could. Sure, I had a cold this week, and I lost some sleep, and there were lots of forms and seminars and workshops and errands... but when you get right down to it, all we have are our relationships with the Lord. Sometimes we allow the details to get in the way. I pray we all learn to lean on Him for everything and, in so doing, realize our purpose in life: to bring Him glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment